September 21, 2021
NovaFori Ltd. is looking for an innovative Tech Lead to join our London “Labs” team which deliver experimental / PoC work for new clients and create new features for our existing products. As a Labs team Tech Lead, you will get many opportunities to expand your technical knowledge and develop professional skills, whilst working on a dynamic and fast paced workload.
This role is an opportunity to work for a progressive, forward-thinking organisation where the development team is the company’s backbone. You will be working on new and interesting projects and gain exposure to the latest technologies, whilst at the same time having some fun and working with a great bunch of people.
Maintaining a team-centric philosophy is fundamental to our success. Everyone is encouraged to take responsibility and is expected to contribute to all facets of the development process. We share success when things are going well, while everyone owns the problems when they are not. Each team handles all aspects of delivery for the project they are working on, going from initial requirements to working software.
As the tech lead, you will oversee a “Labs” team and the projects they undertake, to inspire them and help them reach their goals. Outstanding technical leads are accountable, trustworthy, and able to build lasting relationships with their teams.
We are a growing organisation and we ask everyone to roll their sleeves up and get on with what needs doing, regardless of their role. However, in general, you will be:
- Identifying technical requirements and developing solutions with the team.
- Identifying risks and their mitigations.
- Ensure that software design and code developed by the team meets NovaFori’s quality standards.
- Provide support to colleagues when designing, coding, and reviewing changes.
- Liaising with stakeholders, clients and other colleagues in NovaFori to ensure projects are completed on time and to our high quality standards.
- Keeping yourself up to date with industry and technology changes.
- Developing features of various complexity for our products.
- Some work will be trivial, and implementation may be constrained by tight delivery dates.
- Other work will be substantially more complex and involve detailed design and close collaboration with the rest of the team (and occasionally other teams).
- You will undertake (individually and along with other members of the team) PoC work and spike stories to identify optimal solutions to business requirements or to eliminate uncertainty when estimating related work.
- Creating reports, updates, user-docs and other sorts of documentation to explain what we do and how we do it.
- Helping to build a team of developers.
- Supporting and motivating your team. Providing a space for them to ask questions and voice their concerns
- Discussing the goals and objectives of your team members with them and supporting their successful completion.
- You will make sure that, where necessary, the Labs team (and occasionally other teams) understands the design of the features you are working on.
- You will be able to communicate your ideas and designs clearly via Slack, email, etc., and whiteboarding sessions.
- You will participate in and contribute to the essential scrum processes adopted by the Labs team (i.e., stand-ups, estimations, planning, refinement sessions, and retros).
- You will provide regular and constructive feedback about your peers as part of our review and feedback system.
- Work with other teams and tech leads in the organisation to ensure a consistent approach to development and technical leadership.
- At least 3+ years of experience as a tech lead in Full Stack
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or related field. Or equivalent industry experience.
- Skilled individual with full software development life-cycle experience, and excellent knowledge of both .NET and C#
- Knowledge on cloud-based services (serverless computing, message bus, databases, etc.) preferably with AWS.
- Good knowledge of SQL and experience of either SQL Server or other major relational RDBMS.
- Experience on test-driven development and unit testing frameworks (NUnit for C#, Jest for Typescript, etc.) is a must.
- Source versioning, branching strategies with git and continuous integration with TFS / Azure DevOps.
- Experience with design patterns and demonstrable experience of having devised and worked on complex application architectures.
Considering our current tech stack, you will need to have good knowledge of:
- AWS, Serverlesso UI: React (or Angular), Redux, Bootstrap, SASS
- .NET Framework, .NET Core, NodeJS
- ASP.NET, WebAPI, OWINo RabbitMQ, SQS, SNS, MQTT:WS
- IdentityServer, OpenID, OAuth
- NoSQL: Couchbase, DynamoDB
- SQL: Either PostgreSQL, MySQL or Sequel Server
- Testing Framework: (experience of at least one of these (or similar)) NUnit, Moq, AutoFixture, Jest, enzyme, react testing library, Postman/Insomnia,Cypress
- Windows services
- PowerShell, Bash
- Git, TFS, Octopus or similar. CI/CD tools
- Kubernetes, Docker
We’ve highlighted above (in bold) the technologies you will be working with most frequently.
We know that the role of tech lead can differ across organisations, but we expect you to be able to articulate how you have done these things at previous organisations.
- You should have some recent and deep experience of leading a team of engineers. This should include some conflict management and how you motivate and support your staff.
- You can demonstrate experience of working with agile engineering teams to successfully deliver software.
- Have excellent communication skills and can clearly articulate your ideas, from both a technical and a business point of view.
- Have a strong focus on high-quality customer experience with both the client and their customer.
- Familiarity with design patterns and demonstrable experience of having devised and worked on complex application architectures.
You should also have experience with:
- REST APIs
- Message Queues/Event Driven Design
- Unit testing and TDD
- Strangler Patterno Code generation
Nice to Have
It will be useful if you also have some knowledge on:
- Azure or Google Cloudo Python
- QA tooling: JMeter, Postman + Newman, SOAPUI, TestCafe, Seleniumo Infrastructure: Terraform, Chef, HAProxy
- Monitoring: IPAM, OpsGenie, Grafana, Kafka, LogStash
- Kibana, Zabbix, New Relic, Pingdom
- Mobile: Android / IOS development, ReactNative
- Libraries / frameworks: log4net, Quartz, Swagger, Redis, Memcache, SignalR, EntityFramework, Dapper
Skills & Qualities
Some of the qualities we are keen to see in a candidate:
- Strong leadership and organisational skills.
- Some management experience.
- We do not micro-manage, so you should be able to manage your own workload.
- Ambition to grow in your role and be able to use your drive, creativity, and initiative to move the team and organisation forward.
- Be curious and motivated.
- Have team-working as a priority and drive constant improvement on collaboration.
- You actively elicit and provide feedback to drive continual self-improvement in yourself and others.
- A master of workshops, whiteboards and post-it notes (physical and digital).
- Being transparent with the team about challenges, failures, and successes.
- You will be able to time-box any PoC and spike work to ensure that you do not lose focus of the aim of such work.
- High quality verbal and written communication.
This role reports to the Head of Delivery.
You will belong to the Labs/NextGen team, which includes all the roles needed to build our NextGen product and onboarding new clients. We are looking to grow this team, reach a critical mass and then split the team into two Labs/NextGen teams to double our ability to deliver. We are designing NextGen to improve our technical architecture to speed up the onboarding and deployment process, to create new and exciting features for our platform.
We pride ourselves on listening to all our employee’s needs and we have developed our benefits package to reflect this. We currently offer:
- Competitive Salary (negotiable depending on experience)
- 25 days annual leave
- Your birthday off
- Contributory Pension scheme
- Private health scheme
- 4 x salary Life Assurance
- Employee Referral Scheme
- Learning and development opportunities
What is it like to work for NovaFori?
NovaFori have offices in London and Malaga and are currently a team of approximately 70+people, with plans to continue to grow as a result of major projects in the pipeline.
Learning and Development.
Your career path does not have to be linear at NovaFori. We will support you on whatever journey you wish to take.
We are committed to Agile and encourage continuous improvement in all aspects of our business. Great people to work with and a fun place to work. You will work with smart people like you, who are progressive and open minded.
Be part of something important.
We are using marketplace design and technology to disrupt multibillion-pound industries, from commodities to logistics. Be part of it!
About NovaFori: We are a cutting-edge technology company based in London and Malaga, with a decade of experience in combining business analysis, marketplace design, development, and data science. Our technology supports B2B and B2C clients in Europe, North America, and Asia, with over $11bn GMV transacted through our platforms since inception.
Our Platform: Our auction and trading platform, powered by data science, is deployed across multiple industries, including commodities, financial services, logistics and procurement. The technology platform is flexible, scalable, and modular, designed with a B2C user experience and supports the complex product attributes of the B2B world.
Data Science: We leverage data by using machine learning algorithms to understand what is happening in the market, predict future trends and optimise marketplace performance.
To apply, please submit a cv, with a covering letter outlining your suitability for the role and details of your current salary and remuneration package to email@example.com